Our captive flock of over 100 cranes deserves a treat! You can ensure they receive what they need to stay mentally and physically healthy by purchasing items from our Amazon wish list, purchasing gift cards or donating specifically to the Crane Enrichment and Veterinary Programs. Also, consider becoming a Crane Keeper and sponsor one crane for a full year!
A few examples of what we may purchase with your donation:
Crane Chow | Crickets | Mealworms | Smelt | Peanuts | Fresh fruit | Fresh/frozen vegetables | Heads of lettuce | Pomegranates | Pumpkins | Rice | Grapes | Cranberries | Kong toys (for hiding treats)
Since the majority of the food listed is perishable, and enrichment strategies should be presented on a varied schedule so that the cranes do not become desensitized or habituated to the new treats, we ask that crane enrichment food donations be made in the following ways:
- Festival Foods gift cards (in-store purchase only in West Baraboo and Portage, Wisconsin)
- Pierce’s Markets gift cards (in-store purchase only in Madison and Muscoda, Wisconsin)
- Pick n’ Save, Copps, Mariano’s, and Rainbow Foods gift cards (in-store purchase only at any location)
- Blain’s Farm & Fleet gift cards (purchase in-store or online)
- Want us to shop locally for items at the Baraboo Farmers’ Market and other locations? Send a check payable to “International Crane Foundation” with a memo line of “Crane Enrichment Program.”
Please direct online gift cards to Kim Boardman, Curator of Birds, and send other donations to International Crane Foundation, Attn: Kim Boardman, E11376 Shady Lane Road, P.O. Box 447 Baraboo, WI 53913.
All donations are tax-deductible to the full extent of the law. To receive a receipt of your generous gift for tax purposes, please include your name and address with the gift card purchase.
The Crane Enrichment Program provides stimulating and challenging objects, activities and environments for the cranes to help keep them mentally and physically healthy. Enrichment items may include foods, dried plants or sticks, puzzles or other novel items.
Thank you for caring for our cranes!
Here’s a snap-shot of the annual food requirements of our fine feathered friends:
12,000 adult crickets
132 pounds of smelt
75 pounds of corn
30 pounds of grapes
200 pounds of oyster shells
60 pounds of unsalted peanuts
11.5 tons of Crane Chow