Over the past 45 years, The International Crane Foundation (ICF) has grown from the dream of two college students to a world-renowned conservation effort to save the world’s cranes and the flyways and habitats they frequent. The successful candidate will be a conservation minded individual who will bring their outreach experience to the mission of ICF. If you are not currently a crane enthusiast, do not worry, you will become one fast, in this mission-based organization.
What is it like to work at ICF? Prepare to be surrounded by people who are passionate for our mission, dedicated to the organization, and engaged with their fellow staff and associates. You will find dedication in all levels of the organization from staff and volunteers to our dedicated Board Directors. You will play a critical role in promoting and expanding our mission in the Gulf Coast. The salary range is $37,000 to $39,000, plus a nice benefit package. The position is in Rockport, Texas.
The Whooping Crane Outreach Coordinator supports the mission of the International Crane Foundation (ICF) by leading outreach and education work across coastal Texas. The incumbent will communicate information about Whooping Cranes and their protection by coordinating and conducting presentation events and representing ICF at festivals, banquets, field days, and other events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify regional education/outreach programs where the inclusion of Whooping Crane conservation information can be incorporated and provide appropriate materials for their use.
- Communicate information about Whooping Cranes and why their protection is important by coordinating and conducting presentation events to partner organizations, hunting groups, birding/conservation clubs, educators, farmers, and to local communities.
- Integrate ICF outreach activities at events in the Texas Coastal Bend area with other ongoing programs.
- Provide Whooping Crane knowledge packets to hunting guides and hunting lodges to increase awareness and decrease accidental shootings.
- Maintain a database of metrics for the program.
- Evaluate knowledge, value, and behavior changes and modify initiatives to ensure effectiveness.
- Identify, recruit, train, supervise, and retain community outreach volunteers and interns.
- Work with volunteers to collect citizen science data.
- Written and verbal reports.
- Work collaboratively with local, state, and federal agencies to achieve goals for the outreach program.
- Assist as requested to raise funding for the initiatives.
- Exceptional communication skills—verbal, written, and interpersonal.
- Experience working diverse audiences and groups.
- Experience working with volunteers to achieve desired results; delegate work; train and encourage skill development; access and provide feedback on individual performance.
- Experience working with the media and/or reporters.
- Experience working effectively with a diverse group of stakeholders to achieve a challenging goal.
- Experience with grant writing or other forms of fund raising.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a biological field, communications, sociology, or other relevant field, and preferably three years related experience.
- Experience with education and outreach.
- Experience with presenting to a variety of groups.
- Ability to work well with others and manage a group of volunteers.
Physical Abilities and Work Environment:
The physical abilities and work environment characteristics described below are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be available to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to use hands and fingers to type.
- Ability to talk and hear.
- Ability to reach, balance, crouch, and kneel.
- Ability to sit, stand, and walk for reasonable periods of time.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds.
- Ability to travel long distances.
- Ability to work outside a traditional office and in a variety of environments while traveling.
- Some weekends will be required.
To apply send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please list subject: Outreach – Texas.
“ICF is committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion. We hire great people.”
ICF is an equal opportunity employer.