Over the past 50 years, The International Crane Foundation (ICF) has grown from the dream of two college students to a world-renowned conservation effort to save the world’s cranes and the flyways and habitats they frequent. Our Gift Shop Associate will assist in our web-based gift shop and be trained to be a frontline person during our visitor regular season. We are currently looking for passionate staff for our visitor season. Starting wage is $13.00 to $14.75 per hour.
What is it like to work at ICF? Prepare to be surrounded by people who are passionate for our mission, dedicated to the organization and engaged with their fellow staff and associates. Our campus is located on 200+ acres of rolling prairies with trails. ICF operates a zoo that features all 15 of the world’s cranes.
The Visitor Services and Gift Shop (VSGS) Associate position supports the mission of the International Crane Foundation (ICF) as a member of the frontline team at the George Archibald Welcome Center (GAWC). We are open to the public (“the season”) from May 1 through October 31 each year. Additional hours may be available before or after these dates to assist with preparation for the season, special events, offsite retail opportunities, and e-commerce support. During the season, the VSGS Associate provides exceptional customer service welcoming all visitors to our public site. Responsibilities include selling admissions and memberships and supporting all gift shop operations. VSGS Associates sell branded, proprietary, educational, fair trade, and environmentally friendly merchandise in the GAWC at ICF’s headquarters in Baraboo, Wisconsin. The successful candidate will be part of a skilled team that is integral in creating a welcoming and engaging environment for members and guests.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Be knowledgeable and able to speak to the mission of the International Crane Foundation.
- Create a customer service experience and retail atmosphere to best support ICF’s mission.
- Perform all tasks associated with visitor center and retail operations at the direction of the Visitor Services and Gift Shop Manager or Assistant Manager.
- Assist customers with merchandise inquiries, sales, special requests, as well as member and staff discounts.
- Answers customer’s questions concerning ICF’s mission, conservation work, membership; location, price, and use of merchandise.
- Coordinate with CED (Conservation Education Dept) team to check in group tours and facilitate in-depth educational experiences for visitors.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Work as a constructive member of a team, including the free sharing of information and technical expertise as needed.
- Demonstrate respect and sensitivity for others; inspire trust; and work with integrity and ethically. Ability to engage diverse visitors to ICF.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including speaking clearly and persuasively to individuals and groups in positive or negative situations; listening effectively; responding well to questions from the public.
- Able to read and interpret written information.
- Knowledge of basic math including addition, subtraction, multiplication and calculating percentages.
- Punctual and reliable.
- Familiar with Microsoft Word suites; E-mail, Internet.
- Attention to detail and thoroughness.
- Ability to identify problems, collect, organize, analyze information, and make appropriate decisions or recommendations within defined scope of responsibilities.
- Responsiveness to management direction; Able to follow organizational policies and procedures
- Observes safety and security procedures.
- Commitment to the mission of the International Crane Foundation.
- Knowledge of POS software.
- One to two years’ experience in retail sales.
- Retail experience in a non-profit, museum, zoo, or fair-trade organization.
PHYSICAL ABILITIES AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical abilities and work environment characteristics described below are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to operate computer and phones.
- Ability to communicate with fellow staff, visitors, and donors. Communication will include both one to one communication and group communication. Communications needs to be in English. Communication means both written and oral communication.
- Ability to move around visitor center and store assisting customers.
- Ability to lift and move up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to spend long periods of time stocking and packing merchandise. This includes bending, stooping, and reaching.
- Work environment is typically indoor, clean, and climate controlled, though trips across campus is required.
- Noise is typical with that of a store and can vary from moderate to occasionally loud when groups are present.
For more information, please visit our website at www.savingcranes.org
To apply send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Please list subject: Visitor Services
“ICF is committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion. We hire great people.”
ICF is an equal opportunity employer