The International Crane Foundation (ICF) is a global conservation organization that works in 55 countries to save the world’s cranes and the flyways and habitats on which they depend. ICF is committed to working across cultures to improve livelihoods for people and the habitats where cranes live. We are known for our collaborative work and effective conservation work to save cranes and their landscapes globally. ICF is highly committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment, not just in North America but throughout the world. The Donor Communications Specialist educates our donors and public through our written materials. The ability to produce high quality materials that will relay ICF’s story and support the development department in reaching our members. A passion for making a difference for wildlife and the planet is required.
What is it like to work at ICF? Prepare to be surrounded by people who are passionate for our mission, dedicated to the organization, and engaged with their fellow staff and associates. You will find dedication in all levels of the organization from staff and volunteers to our dedicated Board Members. You will play a critical role in fulfilling our mission across the U.S. and 55 countries around the world. The salary range for this position is $58,000 to $65,000, plus a nice benefit package. A radius for telecommuting is within 4 hours of Baraboo, Wisconsin.
The Donor Communications Specialist supports the mission of the International Crane Foundation by leading the creative direction of the foundation’s print materials, with an emphasis on donor-centric messages, and instilling a culture of philanthropy in ICF communications across audiences. The incumbent provides focus on making sure that the donor is seen and heard throughout printed materials and philanthropy-related communications and provides meaningful audience segmentation to support these goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the editor and project manager for The Bugle, the annual report and larger collateral pieces, and manage contractors, designers, limited-term employees, interns, and volunteers to achieve goals both creative and financial.
- Write compelling and informative donor-directed pieces, including membership newsletter, The Bugle, monthly email membership messages, fundraising appeals, acknowledgment letters, annual report and other stewardship messages, and collateral for various philanthropic events and activities, in collaboration with the Development team.
- Provide copy editing expertise for book publications, strategic plans and other impactful messages that are aimed at donors and members.
- Collaborate with the External Affairs team to align messaging with International Crane Foundation branding and themes for events and collateral materials.
- Provide message segmentation for defined audiences based on goals for project. Provide metrics of outcomes for evaluation of effectiveness of project.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Member Manager to write member acquisitions, membership onboarding materials, and other member-exclusive email and print messages.
- Work with colleagues on fundraising events such as An Evening with the Cranes, Let’s Whoop It Up, festivals, luncheons, and other events.
- Collaborate with Senior Leadership and program leaders on content and activities to ensure the accuracy of information and “voice” to make sure our messages are on brand.
- Use communication platforms, such as Constant Contact, to send messages to current and potential donors.
- Obtain, catalog, and select compelling images of cranes, landscapes, projects, and stakeholders for present and future use in donor and recruitment publications.
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, English, Journalism, public relations, or related field and no less than five years related experience.
- Experience writing documents, articles, appeals and marketing collateral.
- Experience creating and editing publications.
- Experience evaluating and working with third-party vendors, design resources and printers.
- Exceptional communication skills—verbal, written and interpersonal.
- Ability to lead projects from concept to completion, including coordinating people, deadlines, and analytics to deliver consistently impactful products.
- Outstanding editorial skills, including the ability to distill a story to its key components while adhering to proper use of language and punctuation.
- Independent, creative self-starter with ability to multi-task in a highly energetic, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to balance short and long-term priorities.
- Quickly, effectively, and continually adapt to changes in work environment and duties, processes and technologies.
- Work as a constructive member of a cross-functional team, including the free sharing of information and expertise as needed.
- Demonstrate respect and sensitivity for others in complex multinational environment; inspire trust; and work with integrity and ethically while managing a diverse set of stakeholders.
Physical Abilities and Work Environment:
The physical abilities and work environment characteristics described below are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to operate computer and phones.
- Ability to communicate with fellow staff, visitors, and donors. Communication will include both one to one communication, small, and large group communication. Communications need to be in English. Communication means both written and oral communication.
- Ability to work at workstation for 5-7 hours a day.
- The ability to attend meetings held throughout campus.
- Occasionally required to lift and move items up to 20 pounds.
The work environment includes office work. The office environment is clean and climate controlled.
To apply send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include salary goals in your cover letter. Please list subject: Donor Communications Specialist.
“ICF is committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion. We hire great people.”
ICF is an equal opportunity employer.