Over the past 50 years, The International Crane Foundation (ICF) has grown from the dream of two college students to a world-renowned conservation effort to save the world’s cranes and the flyways and habitats they frequent. The successful candidate will be a passionate person who thrives at providing a great customer experience. The International Crane Foundation will take your talents and help you grow into seasoned professional.
What is it like to work at ICF? Prepare to be surrounded by people who are passionate for our mission, dedicated to the organization, and engaged with their fellow staff and associates. Our campus is located on 200+ acres of rolling prairies with trails. ICF operates a zoo that features all 15 of the world’s cranes. The salary range is $38,000 to $40,000 plus a nice benefit package. You will play a critical role in turning visitors into Craniacs. Does this sound like you?
The Assistant Manager of Retail and Visitor Services assists the Manager of Retail and Visitor Services in supervising the daily operations of the George Archibald Welcome Center at the International Crane Foundation. This new facility opened in May 2021 and is the visitor’s first impression of our organization. It is the entrance to the Cranes of the World Experience – a network of naturalistic exhibits featuring the only complete collection of all 15 crane species from around the world. The building includes admissions, a 50-seat theater, interactive exhibits, an indoor viewing room for the Sandhill Crane exhibit, and gift shop. Daily admissions, membership sales, gift shop sales, site orientation, and a self-guided interpretive preview of the organization all take place in this facility.
The Assistant Manager of Retail and Visitor Services assists with oversight of all aspects of the visitor experience at the George Archibald Welcome Center, the retail store, and the online store. The Assistant Manager works closely with other departments including the Conservation Education Department, Site Management, Development, Marketing and Communications, and Finance to help achieve all goals in support of ICF’s mission.
The ideal candidate will have retail management experience, excellent financial management, and customer service and analytical skills. They will also have experience in administrative and project management and the ability to train, manage, and motivate staff with a positive attitude.
Essential duties include:
- Assist with the management and supervision of the Welcome Desk and Gift Shop staff in the Manager’s absence.
- Sell daily admissions and memberships during the visitor season (May through October).
- Provide an engaging and innovative retail experience, connecting merchandise to mission whenever possible. Ensure Visitor Services and gift shop staff provide the highest level of customer service for all visitors.
- Assist with tracking of inventory for both physical and online stores.
- Oversee online store: enter new merchandise into a point-of-sale system, write descriptions, take and post photos, fill orders in a timely manner, and maintain inventory levels.
- Work with Marketing and Communications to market and promote the physical and web stores through print, radio, and social and digital media.
Additional duties include:
- Execute established processes and procedures associated with the admissions desk and gift shop, including cash handling and daily reporting for the Finance Department.
- Assist Manager in reaching annual revenue goals.
- Assist with the smooth execution of VIP tours, promotions, and special events.
- Participate in outreach and seasonal opportunities for the gift shop beyond the George Archibald Welcome Center. Examples include crane festivals around the country and a pop-up shop in downtown Baraboo during the off-season (November through April).
- Conduct annual inventory count and participate in audit as needed.
- Know and implement ADA compliance for staff and visitors.
- Know and implement ICF’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Policy for staff and visitors.
- Know and manage Visitor Services and the gift shop in accordance with AZA accreditation.
- Associate degree or equivalent work experience required.
- 2-4 years of retail experience in a customer service-oriented setting.
- Knowledge of Point-of-Sale retail/inventory management software.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work well with individuals of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, often changing environment.
Physical abilities and work environment:
The physical abilities and work environment characteristics described below are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to operate computer and phones.
- Ability to communicate with fellow staff, visitors, and donors. Communication will include both one to one communication and group communication. Communications need to be in English. Communication means both written and oral communication.
- Ability to move around visitor center and store assisting customers.
- Ability to lift and move up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to spend long periods of time stocking and packing merchandise. This includes bending, stooping, and reaching.
- Work environment is typically indoor, clean, and climate controlled, though trips across campus is required.
- Noise is typical with that of a store and can vary from moderate to occasionally loud when groups are present.
To apply send resume and cover letter to ICFjobs@savingcranes.org Please put Assistant Manager in the subject line.
“ICF is committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion. We hire great people.”
ICF is an equal opportunity employer.